Monday, October 3, 2011

Spicy Chicken with Dates and Butternut Squash

I received this email from my dear friend, Sarah.  I love her style, and this recipe!
 
.........................................................................................................................
So I've made this recipe a 100 times and as I was making it tonight I thought, shit, Mel could make this for uprocessed october if she makes her own chicken stock. So I hop on rachelrayshow.com where I got the recipe off 3 years ago, but its no longer there. So that bitch is making me type it out to you.

Spicy Chicken with Dates and Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash seeded, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces.
4 TB Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs, chopped
1 large onion sliced
12 dried pitted dates, coursely chopped (1 cup)
1 TB ground cumin
1 TB ground coriander
1 TB ground turmeric
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
3 TB flour
3 cups chicken stock
 
Oven at 400, put butternut squash on baking sheet, drizzle 2 TB oil, salt, and pepper, roast for 1/2 hour.
 
While squash is cooking, place a large deep skillet over med high heat. 2 TB of oil. Add chicken, salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown and almost cooked through 6-7 minutes.
 
Add onion, dates, spices, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the pan and cook for another minute. Then add chicken stock, bring to a bubble.
 
Reduce to medium and simmer until thickened.
 
Discard bayleaf and cinnamon stick. Add squash.
 
It says to serve with coucus, but I know you can't really eat that with the cleanse you are doing. Its good by itself. Or you could roast veggies and put it over that.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment